Saturday, March 12, 2011

I am untrainable! I am an art class drop out!

I admit it!  I am untrainable! I have dropped out of every art class I have ever taken!  I don't have the patience it takes to learn how to do art!  I have discovered that I am one of those people who learn art the best by doing rather than by studying how to do art!

I have tried taking various art classes over the years but I could never stay with it. I dropped out every time and usually after the first class.

You should have seen me in those art classes.  I would sit in the back corner trying so hard to concentrate on what the teacher was teaching.  Before long though, I would lose interest and end up doing my own thing while the teacher was still trying to teach.  It was painful to try to sit and listen.  I couldn't wait till the class ended.  I had no patience or stamina for it.  Then I would go home all depressed and frustrated with myself.  I would end up thinking that I will never be an artist even though that is what I wanted to be more than anything else.

One thing that especially bothered me about the art classes I attempted to take is that they were always geared towards realistic art.  It took me a long time to realize that my passion was not realistic art.  I didn't want to learn how to make a tree look like a tree.  My passion, I finally discovered, was to put what I was feeling on the canvas as quickly and simply as I could.

The good news is that even though I was an art class drop out, I did finally discover the artist within after a lot of years of experimenting with my art materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment